“Executive Order #11490”
by Richard Nixon
“This order is concerned with the emergency national planning and preparedness functions of the several departments and agencies of the Federal Government which complement the military readiness planning responsibilities of the Department of Defense; together, these measures provide the basic foundation for our overall national preparedness posture, and are fundamental to our ability to survive.
The departments and agencies of the Federal Government are hereby severally charged with the duty of assuring the continuity of the Federal Government in any national emergency type situation that might confront the nation. To this end, each department and agency with essential functions, whether expressly identified in this order or not, shall develop such plans and take such actions, including but not limited to those specified in this order, as may be necessary to assure that it will be able to perform its essential functions, and continue as a viable part of the Federal Government, during any emergency that might conceivably occur. These include plans for maintaining the continuity of essential functions of the department or agency at the seat of government and elsewhere, through programs concerned with:
(1) succession to office;
(2) predelegation of emergency authority;
(3) safekeeping of essential records;
(4) emergency relocation sites supported by communications and required services;
(5) emergency action steps;
(6) alternate headquarters or command facilities; and
(7) protection of Government resources, facilities, and personnel. The continuity of Government activities undertaken by the departments and agencies shall be in accordance with guidance provided by, and subject to evaluation by, the Director of the Office of Emergency Preparedness.
In addition to the activities indicated above, the heads of departments and agencies described in Parts 2 through 29 of this order shall:
(1) prepare national emergency plans, develop preparedness programs, and attain an appropriate
state of readiness with respect to the functions assigned to them in this order for all conditions of national emergency;
(2) give appropriate consideration to emergency preparedness factors in the conduct of the regular functions of their agencies, particularly those functions considered essential in time of emergency, and
(3) be prepared to implement, in the event of an emergency, all appropriate plans developed under
“Executive Order #11921”
by Gerald Ford
“Executive Order No. 11490 of October 28, 1969, is hereby amended as follows:
SECTION 1. The ‘Table of Contents’ is amended as follows: (a) In Part 6, delete ‘Post Office Department’ and substitute therefor ‘United States Postal Service’.
(b) After Part 15 insert ’15A Environmental Protection Agency.’.
(c) After Part 22 insert ’22A National Credit Union Administration.’.
(d) After Part 28 insert ’28A United States Information Agency.’.